TPMS or “Tire Pressure Monitoring System” electronically monitors the air pressure inside your tires. Depending on your vehicle, the TPMS reports the tire-pressure information, through a gauge, a pictogram display, or a low-pressure warning light. If your system is indicating a problem, bring your vehicle to American Tire and Service in Rio Rancho for evaluation and repair.
The TPMS system can be divided into two different types—direct (dTPMS) and indirect (iTPMS). As of September 1, 2007, the TREAD (Transportation Recall Enhanced Accountability and Documentation) Act requires that all vehicles sold in the U.S. be equipped with one of these types:
- Direct TPMS reports tire pressure in real-time through pressure sensors installed directly in the valve of each tire.
- Indirect TPMS uses the car’s anti-lock braking systems (ABS) to approximate tire pressure. Since tire inflation levels affect tire rotation, indirect TPMS also relies on the differences in wheel rotation to detect under-inflation.
Benefits of TPMS:
- Avoid traffic accidents: Recognize under-inflated tires before they malfunction and create an accident.
- Extend tire life: Under inflation contributes to heat buildup, tire disintegration, ply separation and sidewall/casing breakdowns.
- Improve safety: Properly inflated tires add stability, greater handling, and braking efficiencies while providing better safety for the driver, the vehicle, and others on the road.
- Having trouble with your TPMS? Give us a call today and our professional team will take care of it for you.
Call American Tire and Service at 505-891-8951 to schedule auto repair services in Rio Rancho, Corrales, Bernalillo, and the surrounding Albuquerque area.
How Can We Help You?
4520 Arrowhead Ridge Dr
Rio Rancho, NM 87124
HWY 528 near Ridgecrest
M-F 7:30 a.m. 5:30 p.m.
Sat 7:30 a.m. 3:30 p.m.