Batteries and Electrical
If you suspect your battery isn’t working properly, stop in for a free battery test at American Tire and Service in Rio Rancho. We offer prompt replacement of your car’s battery. Your vehicle depends on a properly working electrical system. Four main parts make up this system, and they must work together effectively. These include:
- Batteries: Your vehicle’s battery provides the electricity needed to start the engine. At American Tire and Service in Rio Rancho, we recommend checking your battery with every oil change and replace it every three or four years. If your battery isn’t working efficiently, your alternator has to work overtime to make up for it, and other electrical components can suffer as well. Sealed batteries were introduced as being ‘maintenance-free batteries.’ While it is true that you can’t get in and adjust the electrolyte levels of a sealed battery, it is by no means maintenance free. Routine service appointments will keep your battery working well.
- Alternator: After starting your engine, your alternator takes over and generates power for the electrical system and recharges the battery. The electric system powers headlamps, light bulbs, and other electrical accessories.
- Starter Motor: Your starter motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy used to start your engine. Basically, once you turn your ignition, the starter cranks the engine to start your vehicle. As a general rule, test your starter every spring to make sure it draws the right amount of current.
- Wiring: The wires in your electrical system connect the battery to the starter motor, the alternator to the battery, and the alternator to the starter. These large wires transmit several hundred amperes during cranking.
Things you can do at home to help extend electrical system’s life:
- Clean off your battery and the connections once a month.
- When purchasing a new battery, buy the same kind of battery and amps as the old one.
- Turn off your vehicle’s radio when the engine is not running to preserve your battery.
- If your vehicle needs a jump-start, use a car that is shut (not running). And remember to jump your vehicle with a battery with the same or lower voltage.
- If you are having trouble with your vehicles electrical system and need a professional opinion, American Tire and Service is here to help. Our technicians provide quality service in for your electrical system repairs.
Call American Tire and Service at 505-891-8951 to schedule auto repair services in Rio Rancho, Corrales, Bernalillo, and the surrounding Albuquerque area.
For immediate scheduling, please call 505-891-8951. We try to respond to form submissions within 24 hours.
How Can We Help You?
"*" indicates required fields
4520 Arrowhead Ridge Dr
Rio Rancho, NM 87124
HWY 528 near Ridgecrest
M-F 7:30 a.m. 5:30 p.m.
Sat 7:30 a.m. 3:30 p.m.