Of all the equipment in your vehicle, belts and hoses have the shortest lifespan, especially in our warm New Mexico summers. These components often crack, leak, or fray due to their constant exposure to heat, vibration, and exposure to chemicals. If not promptly replaced and maintained, a broken belt or hose can spell disaster for your vehicle’s performance. Belt and hose evaluations based solely on their outward appearance are not enough. American Tire and Service in Rio Rancho recommends regular inspection of belts and hoses, and we’re here to help drivers in the Rio Rancho, Corrales, and Albuquerque area.
Research shows that while most people get regular oil changes, they neglect the condition of their belts and hoses. A leaking hose or a cracked belt will cause you more trouble than an overdue oil change will. Here is a sample of how we ensure belt and hose quality:
Visual Inspection of Belts
- Search for clear indications of damage (cracking, glazing, softening, or peeling)
- Test for correct tension
- Test for correct alignment
- Make notes of the belt’s condition for future reference
Visual Inspection of Hoses
- Search for leaks, cracks, hardening, or softening.
- Test cooling system for leaks using state-of-the-art pressure technology
- Record the condition of the hose for future reference
- Get your vehicle’s belts and hoses inspected on a regular basis at American Tire in Rio Rancho, to prevent damaged pieces which can seriously harm your vehicle.
The engine drives some of your vehicle’s accessories. Instead of being supplied by electric power, these accessories rely on a series of pulleys and belts to operate. Some of these accessories include:
- Power steering pump
- Air conditioning compressor
- Radiator cooling fan
- Water pump
- Some vehicles now require a single serpentine belt to power all of these accessories (as opposed to several individual belts).
If you think of hoses as your vehicle’s circulatory system, then you’ll have an appropriate representation of their importance. Hoses are composed of two rubber layers with fabric in between. Types of hoses vary by the make and model, but typically include:
- Fuel hose (sends gasoline from the gas tank to the engine)
- Radiator hose (delivers coolant to engine)
- Power steering hose (connects power steering pump to steering equipment)
- Heater hose (provides coolant to heater core)
Call American Tire and Service at 505-891-8951 to schedule auto repair services in Rio Rancho, Corrales, Bernalillo, and the surrounding Albuquerque area.
How Can We Help You?
4520 Arrowhead Ridge Dr
Rio Rancho, NM 87124
HWY 528 near Ridgecrest
M-F 7:30 a.m. 5:30 p.m.
Sat 7:30 a.m. 3:30 p.m.